Bourbon Brûlé Latte
(Makes 2 Drinks)
Perfect for holiday sharing, this café au lait is spiked with a rich bourbon vanilla caramel that takes only a few minutes to prepare.
1 cup (250 mL) strong brewed Starbucks® Espresso
4 tsp (20 mL) butter
1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (60 mL) 35% whipping cream
2 oz (30 mL) bourbon
1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract, divided
2 cups (500 mL) milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) whipped cream
2 tbsp (30 mL) shaved chocolate
1. Melt butter in small skillet set over medium heat; stir in brown sugar. Bring to boil; cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to thicken and caramelize.
2. Remove from heat; stir in cream, bourbon and half of the vanilla extract. Return to stovetop; return to boil. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened, caramelized and syrupy.
3. Meanwhile, heat milk in saucepan set over medium-low heat; cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes or until steaming. Stir in remaining vanilla extract. Whisk with frother or hand blender until frothy.
4. Divide espresso, caramel and frothed milk between 2 large mugs. Top with whipped cream and garnish with shaved chocolate.
• Alternatively, microwave milk on High in microwave-safe measuring cup for 60 to 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, or until steaming.
• Substitute whiskey, rye or rum for bourbon.
You may also like